Saturday, June 13, 2009

An Adventure!

Wow, we just had an adventure! Bryce and I and my sister Tamara and her husband Brad decided to hike up to Horse Tail Falls. It is up Corner Canyon in Alpine. Well, we worried about the rain, but it had stopped so we decided to do it! It is 2 miles straight up! And, I mean straight up! We made it up in 1 hour and 5 minutes. It is an amazing site!

View from below the falls.
It is called Horse Tail Falls because in one spot the water sprays out just like a horses tail! There was so much water going over that it is hard to tell.
Enjoying the view!
A little better view of the "horse tail" just to the right of Bryce's elbow.
Now, for the adventure part! About 5 minutes after we started down it started raining. We had been jogging slowly, but that changed to an all out sprint! We were headed down very steep, rocky and now wet terrain! We were even joined with a stream running down the path that hadn't been there on the way up! To add to that fun, it was lightening and thundering! We even had a little hail! I had a "windbreaker" on that I thought naively was waterproof. Not so much! I was drenched to the bone! Everyone else had plastic ponchos, but I had thought we had two and we only had one, so since I was already soaked Bryce got it! Oh well, they all ended up pretty wet as well. As we ran water and mud splashed up and all over us! We were screaming when the lightening got close, but I was laughing too! It was fun! We made it down in 30 minutes! It was such a relief to sit in a car, semi safe from the lightening! As soon as we made it down to the car, Alyssa who was at Grandma's called and the first thing she said was, "Are you okay?" It was sweet. They couldn't see the mountains at all from where they were and they were worried! Well, here is our after picture!
Overall a great adventure!




1 comments:

Gregg Sorensen Family said...

I wondered if you went. I am glad to hear you made it safely home!